group image

Customer Care Forms

Residential Owner (Single and Multi Family) Accounts

An Owner of a Residential Property is someone who has purchased a single family residence, multi-family complex or parcel and has assumed responsibility for all water related billing charges. If you are an owner of a residential property needing water services and would like to open a new account with the Palmdale Water District, complete the online Single Family Residences (Spanish) or Multi Family Complexes (Spanish) to get started.

Applications in Process – Missing documents

Use the Missing Documents Form if you have been asked to provide additional documentation for a pending application.

Turn Off Service Request

Complete the online Turn Off Service Request (Spanish).

Variance Request for Increased Water Use Allocation

The standard default value for the number of residents in a single family residence is 4. If your household number exceeds 4 people, download the PWD Variance Increase Request Form (Spanish) and submit it to the District with the appropriate documentation for an increase in water use allocation.


Rate Assistance Program

Due to exhausted funds, we are not accepting new applications for the 2024 Rate Assistance Program. 

Leak Adjustments

A courtesy adjustment is available to customers who go over their water use allocation caused by extraordinary water consumption due to leaks. If you would like to apply for Leak Adjustment, review our Leak Adjustment Policy (Spanish) and submit the Leak Adjustment Request Form (Spanish).

Deposit Refund Request

The refund of a deposit is subject to the customer making a request and the customer meeting all the requirements of the Palmdale Water District’s Rules and Regulations Section 10.03.B. “Refund of Deposit (Single Family Residences Only)”. A Customer can complete the Deposit Refund Request one (1) year after a deposit is made with the District (i.e., initial account setup, non-payment, return check) and the Customer has not incurred additional disconnect charges on the account, nor any additional checks returned, nor rejected electronic fund transfer or any credit card charge backs. Complete the online Deposit Refund Request (Spanish).

Developer Accounts

If you are a developer of residential tract properties and would like to open new account(s) with the Palmdale Water District, download our Developer Water Service Application to get started.

Commercial / Industrial / Irrigation Accounts

Commercial, Industrial and Irrigation properties are businesses that accommodate retail sales or manufacturing. This includes owners or entities leasing the property who are assuming responsibility for all water related billing and charges. If you are a owner or leasing a commercial or industrial property and would like to open new account(s) with the Palmdale Water District, complete our online Commercial/Industrial/Irrigation Water Service Application to get started.

Temporary Accounts

The Palmdale Water District recognizes two types of temporary service accounts.

Temporary Cleaning and Maintenance Account

These accounts are often used by property management and/or realtors to clean and prepare a residence for move-in by a tenant. Complete our online Temporary Cleaning and Maintenance Account Application here.

Temporary Construction Account

These accounts are issued when construction water is being used by development for underground utility construction, dust control, finish grade earthwork and limited rough grading projects. For more information, please contact the District’s Engineering Department.

Development Services

If you need to establish water service for new development, visit our Development Services page for step-by-step instructions on how to get service established.

Skip to content